Saturday, August 16, 2008

Philip Walters Allen (1946-2008)


Four Generations of Allens: Philip Walters Allen being held by his father Felix Walters Allen, with his grandfather Berkley Felix Allen standing to the right, and his great grandmother Eliza Kate Walters Allen seated


Miss Beulah Thompson's Third Grade Class, Bartlett Yancey Elementary School. Philip Walters Allen is in the front row, far left, with glasses


Spring Break 1967 (right-to-left): Richmond Stanfield Frederick, Jr., James Bartlett Upchurch, Jr., and Philip Walters Allen



Philip Walters Allen at Virginia International Raceway with legendary race driver Dr. Dick Thompson (2007)


Philip Walters Allen at Virginia International Raceway Spring 2006


Philip Walters Allen (1946-2008)

Reidsville — Honorable Philip W. Allen, 62, of Reidsville, passed away Friday morning, August 15, 2008, at Annie Penn Hospital. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday, August 17, at Yanceyville Presbyterian Church with Rev. Bruce Wheeler officiating. Interment will follow in the church cemetery. Pallbearers are Drake Moore, Jason Moore, Bill Moorefield, David Wilson, Jim Shell and Skip Rowland.

Phil was born in Milton, N.C., August 13, 1946, to the late Felix and Katherine Allen of Blanch, N.C. He was a graduate of UNC Chapel Hill and the UNC School of Law. He first served as an elementary teacher and later as an attorney in Caswell County, Assistant DA, District Attorney and District Court Judge in North Carolina.

Phil is survived by his loving wife, Susan Allen of 34 years; brother, Mike Allen and wife, Branch of Richmond, Va.; sons, Jason Moore and wife, Talytha of Raleigh, N.C., and Drake Moore and wife, Jill Mabe of Eden, Corbett Marshall of Catskill, N.Y.; grandsons, Tyler and Ryan Moore.

The family will receive friends from 6 until 8 p.m. Saturday, August 16, at Wilkerson Funeral Home. Special thanks to the staff at Annie Penn Hospital and Dr. Roy Fagan. In lieu of flowers, Phil requested that donations be made in his honor to Camp Carefree, 275 Carefree Lane, Stokesdale, NC 27357, c/o Ann Jones. Condolences may be sent to wfh_@bellsouth.net.


_______________



Guest Book for
Philip W. Allen


August 24, 2008
Dear Folks:I placed an item about Phil online at:http://ncccha.blogspot.com/2008/08/ philip-walters-allen-1946-2008.htmlIt has some photos that will warm your heart.I will miss my friend,Rick FrederickPS If you have problems finding it please email me: rick@ncccha.org

Rick Frederick (Punta Gorda, FL)

August 21, 2008
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I knew Phil was a judge and was shocked to read about him in the "In Memoriam" section of the NC Bar Association's "e-bar." I grew up in Blanch where my father was the postmaster for many years; our families were friends.

Jill Farmer Cramer (Raleigh, NC)

August 19, 2008
I had the privilege and honor of serving as an assistant district attorney in Rockingham and Caswell County from 1990-1993. I worked in District Court frequently with Judge Allen. I learned a lot as an attorney in his courtroom and I feel that we became good friends. I am so sorry for your loss. He was a very good man and a good judge. I will miss him and keep you all in my prayers.

Bill McGuirt (Monroe, NC)

August 19, 2008
MRS. ALLEN, I AM SO SORRY, THIS CAME AS SUCH A SHOCK TO ME, I HAD JUST SPOKEN TO JUDGE ALLEN ON THE PHONE A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO, I WORK THE SWITHBOARD AT THE CLERK'S OFFICE, (ROCK. CO.) I WAS THE ONE ALWAYS JOKING WITH HIM WHEN HE WOULD CALL AND SAY, "IS THIS MY BOYFRIEND?" HE WOULD LAUGH AND SAY "OF COURSE IT IS." HE WAS THE SWEETEST MAN!!! WE WERE TALKING ABOUT HOW HE MISSED BEING OUT HERE AND HOW BAD WE ALL MISSED HIM BEING HERE. IN THE TEN YEARS I HAVE BEEN HERE, I HAVE NEVER WORKED WITH A NICER MAN, AND ONE WITH SUCH A SINCE OF HUMOR, WE WOULD ALWAYS JOKE, AND WHENEVER I WOULD SEE HIM, WHETHER HE WAS ON HIS WAY TO THE COURTROOM OR WALKING DOWN THE HALL, I WOULD SAY TO THE BAILIFF, "HOLD ON, I HAVE TO GET MY HUG." HE WOULD SAY, "YOU SURE DO." THEN HE WOULD SAY, "YOU ALWAYS MAKE MY DAY." THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS, HE WOULD ALWAYS MAKE YOUR DAY!!!! WE ALL LOVED HIM SO MUCH AND IT WAS ALWAYS RETURNED, I THANK GOD FOR THE TIMES THAT I GOT TO SHARE WITH HIM. I WILL KEEP YOU IN MY PRAYERS, I PRAY THAT GOD'S WILL WILL NEVER TAKE YOU, WHERE GOD'S GRACE WILL NOT PROTECT YOU. HEAVEN HAS ONE MORE ANGEL!

SONYA MCKINNEY (EDEN, NC)

August 19, 2008
I am so very sorry for your loss. I grew up across the street from Phil, Mike, Katherine and PeePaw (Felix). I can remember Phil and his sports car, eating off of my dinner plate and just being funny! When I lived with Katherine for a short period I remember Phil and Susan visiting with their dog. Katherine was SO proud of Phil. My thoughts and prayers are with each of you. May you find peace in your memories.

Connie Moorefield-Rencibia (Apex, NC)

August 18, 2008
Phil, I am missing you so bad! You know that if there was anything more that I could have done for you, I would have. You're the best father-in-law in the whole world! Words can never say how much you mean to me. I know I will see you again one day.I love you so much.

Jill (Eden, NC)

August 18, 2008
Sue, Drake, and JasonI am deeply sorry for your loss. I heard about his passing at church. We will leep you on our prayer list. Let the memories take over the grief and may the days ahead become a little brighter. God Bless You

Cindy Brande- Fowlkes (Blanch, NC)

August 18, 2008
Sue,So sorry for your loss. Memories will keep him in your heart, though he is gone from your sight. My love to Drake and Jason.

Kay Brande (Danville, VA)

August 17, 2008
There are many happy memories of Phil and Katherine and Felix when Phil and Martin were infants and then toddlers. What an admirable young man, valiant through many ordeals and taken too soon. Jean B. Scott

Jean Scott (Milton,, NC)

August 17, 2008
Dear Susan:I am sorry to hear o your loss. Though older than Phil, I remember him as a precious young child and his mother chasing him and his little legs going like windmills.Nancy Page Dunn

Page Dunn (Clarksville, IN)

August 16, 2008
I was so sorry to hear of your loss. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help at this time.

Larry Dyrell Houghton (Greensboro, NC)

August 16, 2008
Our thoughts and prayers are with you in your time of grief. May your memories bring you comfort.

Mr.& Mrs. Monte' LaMar Houghton (Anchorage,, AK)

August 16, 2008
Be StillBe still like the grass on a melancholy summer dayBe still like desert shrub.Be calm and you will hear your loved one speak, in the stillness, in the calm, their love resounds.If you are still this promise I make, you will hear the voice of your loved one helping you along your way.

Wentworth Baptist Church (Reidsville,, NC)

August 16, 2008
I counted Phil as a good friend.I knew his Dad & Mom well. I also worked a few years with his mom at DSS in Yanceyville.She was very proud of Phil and all his accomplishments

Brad White (Yanceyville, NC)

August 16, 2008
I am so very sorry. Bill Hovatter-- Former teacher at BYHS.

William Hovatter (Hurdle Miills, NC)

August 16, 2008
Dear Susan, Mike and family,There just aren't words to express how I'm feeling about the death of Phil. You know we grew up together and my most fond memories of my childhood are those days we spent in Blanch with Felix, Kat, Phil, Mike and Sister Allen's family. My deepest sympathy goes out to all of you. Wish I could be there with you this week-end. Love and Prayers, Gaye

Gaye VanHook Klingel (Clarks Summit, PA)

August 16, 2008
In My PocketI have memories in my pocket.They rattle among the change.My memories of you are treasures I carry wherever I go.They are stored in bits and pieces, parts of a beautiful wholeThey give me comfort when I think I am alone.Yes, I have memories in my pocket, like so much other stuff I keep there.But of all the treasures I have, it’s the memories of you that are the most precious.

Larry & Debra Houghton (Reidsville,N.C.)

August 16, 2008
My depest sympathes to the family.Phil was a dear friend for many years and we shared memorable experiences growing up. Eventhough we had not been in touch for many years, Phil has been in thoughts over the years. He was the nicest, most genereous, and mild mannered person that I think I have ever known.

Jim Rice (Myrtle Beach, SC)

August 16, 2008
Judge Allen was a mentor to me who became a good friend. I admired his everyday courage and tenacity and I respected him more than I ever told him. We often shared "grandchildren" stories; he adored his family. I will miss him. Susan, you and your family are in my prayers.Cathy Stroupe

Cathy Stroupe (Kernersville, NC)

August 16, 2008
I am sorry for loss, I will keep you in my prayers. I will miss Phil at VIR and talking to him on the phone about road racing.

Marcus Albert (Mayodan)

_______________



Albert, Marcus (8/16/2008)

Brande, Kay (8/18/2008)

Brande- Fowlkes, Cindy (8/18/2008)

Dunn, Page (8/17/2008)

Farmer Cramer, Jill (8/21/2008)

Frederick, Rick (8/24/2008)

Houghton, Larry & Debra (8/16/2008)

Houghton, Larry Dyrell (8/16/2008)

Houghton, Mr.& Mrs. Monte' Lamar (8/16/2008)

Hovatter, William (8/16/2008)

Jill (8/18/2008)

Mcguirt, Bill (8/19/2008)

Mckinney, Sonya (8/19/2008)

Moorefield-Rencibia, Connie (8/19/2008)

Rice, Jim (8/16/2008)

Scott, Jean (8/17/2008)

Stroupe, Cathy (8/16/2008)

Vanhook Klingel, Gaye (8/16/2008)

Wentworth Baptist Church (8/16/2008)

White, Brad (8/16/2008)

Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment