Tuesday, October 13, 2009

James T. Mitchell 1864 Letter

Camp Near Petersburg, Virginia
July 16th 1864

Franklin Phillips

Sir I regret very much to inform you of the death of your son. He departed this life on the 7 of the month. He was confined to his bed 17 days. He had all the attention that any man could get. I visited him in his sickness. He was at a private house by the name of Perkins. Mr. & Mrs Perkins was very kind to him, done all in their power for him. He had Typhoid fever. I tried very hard to send his body home but failed, the Gen would not sign a furlough for any body to carry him. I had him decently buried in a good coffin, I attended to it myself. I marked his grave so if you wanted to get his body so you could find it. He had 50 cts in silver & a few postage stamps in his pocket book. Jarrel Powell has his pocket book. The Yankees visited the house while he was there. They stole his hat & some other things. I sent his horse to you the 14th by Mart & all his clothes. I hope they will arrive safe.

Say to his wife that he died in his right mind & expressed a great desire to see her before his died. He said he was willing to die but preferred to die at home. He died very easy like going to sleep without a struggle. Tell her any thing I can do for her in settling up his claims with (the) goverment or in any other way, I will with the greatest pleasure.

Yours with much respect
Jas. T. Mitchell
Capt. Co (B) 4th N.C. Cav
_______________

The Captain James T. Mitchell who wrote the foregoing letter is believed to be James Thomas Mitchell (1828-1898), born in Caswell County, North Carolina.
_______________

Permalink