Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Janie Lee Thompson Mitchell (1933-2010)

Ahoskie - Janie Lee Thompson Mitchell, age 77, of Church St., died Tuesday, September 21, 2010, at Vintage Inn of Williamston. Mrs. Mitchell was born on August 14, 1933, in Lumberton, NC, a daughter of the late Edwin Wilson Thompson and Lucile Margaret Gentry Thompson. She was a member of the Red House Presbyterian Church, Semora, NC. Janie was active in the Gallery Theater, the Masters Garden Club, the Railroad Gang and was a Girl Scout Leader for many years.

Left to cherish her memory is her daughters, Tracey Range of Richmond, VA, Kelly Callis and husband, Lee of Merry Hill, NC, Caroline Bazemore and husband, Alan of Cofield and Georgia Mitchell and husband, George Schuld of Bayville, NJ; her brothers, Ed Thompson, Jr., and Bill Thompson; and a sister, Margaret Thompson, all of Blanche, NC; seven grandchildren; and two great grandchildren.

A celebration of life graveside service will be conducted at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, September 25, 2010, at the Red House Presbyterian Church Cemetery in Semora, NC, with Amanda Range officiating. The family will receive friends at Garrett-Jones Funeral Home from 7:00 until 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, September 23, 2010.
_______________

Name: Kay Byrd
City: Ahoskie, NC
Message: I have missed your Mom so much during the years that she has been sick and now we all have to accept she is really gone. She was such a role model to me. I really miss her more when it comes camping time and singing songs. The two of us would go to Camp Darden, a week or so in advance, and check out the camp and decide who was going to be put where. She was always the life of the fire circle with the ton of songs she knew. And at least she could sing, I can't. She really loved all of you girls, and we spent many hours talking about you. I loved hearing all the stories about the earlier years, too, when she was a single Mom. Her legacy will always be at Camp Darden and I am going to plant something there, in her memory, when I go in November. This year has been real hard for me because I lost two to the biggest role models in my life - my Dad and your Mom. Love to you all, Ms Kay

Name: Helen Ledford
City: Kernersville, NC
Message: I remember Janie Lee from school(Bartlett Yancey) in Caswell County. She was three or four grades ahead of me, but her sister, Margaret and I were good friends. Janie was a beautiful girl, and such a good student, plus being a fine basketball player. Her dad was the rural route mailman and Margaret and I could send letters to each other in the summer without buying stamps. My older sister, Ethel Farthing Wilkins, and brother, W. E. Farthing remember her well also. We all send loving condolences to the family. Janie will always live in our memory as being a wonderful and lovely young woman. May she rest in peace.

Name: Anna Luton
City: Roper, NC
Message: You are all in my thoughts and prayers during this time. Ms. Janie was a wonderful person and I thought a lot of her. Take care. Anna

Name: Scot Luton
City: Roper,NC
Message: I'm sorry to hear about Miss Janie. She was always special to me. I have always regretted not staying in touch with her and Harold. All of you are in our thoughts and prayers. Scot

Name: Bunny Brady
City: Sauk Centre, MN (Winton, NC)
Message: Georgia, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, I understand what a difficult time it is for you now. after i moved to Minn. i try to keep up with the news in Hertford County but was sad to see your mother had passed. Hope to see you again one day, i usually get back there around Christmas every year. Love to you, Bunny Brady

Name: Ann B Lambert
City: Lavonia,ga
Message: Kelly,so sorry to hear about your mom..often think of you and wonder how you are...I have remarried and live in Georgia would love to talk..please e-mail me and please know that you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers

Name: Shirley Smith
City: Ahoskie, NC
Message: Your Mom was such a special person. I met her when I was working with the pediatrician, Dr. Qureshi. She would always bring us flowers from her yard, something she had baked or fresh apples off her tree. She was such a sharing person and so full of life. I am glad I got to know her and have missed her in her latter years around Ahoskie. She loved her family deeply and was so proud of all of you. Please accept my deepest sympathy and may God bless each of you during this trying time.
_______________

Permalink

No comments:

Post a Comment